Photo Gallery
Whats New
Members Gardens
Publications
Membership
Events
FAQs
Links
To Register a new login account email a Username and Password to This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it  

Find us on Facebook

ICS Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login   
Cordyline seed... (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Cordyline seed...
Kristy (Visitor)

Cordyline seed... 14 Years, 8 Months ago  
For all members of the Society, we have people who would like all unwanted seed. Time is coming up for the fruit to be ripe soon, so once it is ready please bring it along to a meeting. If you know the cultivar it's from, could you please label them.

Thanks.

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/08/26 14:49 By jclar30.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Jacob (Admin)
Mad about Cordylines...
Administrator
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female International Cordyline Society Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia Birthdate: 1976-11-19
Re:Cordyline seed... 14 Years, 7 Months ago  
I have lots of Cordyline seed available now, if any members wish to get some, please let me know.

Logged Logged  

Hi, I'm the editor of the Ti-Talk magazine for the International Cordyline Society. I'm married with 3 children and we all love spending time in the garden. I'm keen, eager and willing to learn and LOVE Cordylines!
Don Libbey (Visitor)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline
Re:Cordyline seed... 14 Years, 6 Months ago  
I'm an avid ti (cordyline) grower in Hawaii. I haven't looked at the site for a while, and noticed some changes. I just signed up and registered for the forums. I've actually rarely used a forum before, so I'll give it a try.
I have around 400 variety's of ti's at last count, and have done some carefull hand pollination of choice ti's to grow some hybrids the last tw years. I'm getting some very promising looking seedlings, and recently I think I may have found a variety , where the seeds from it produce a high percentage of great looking new hybrids!!!
Usually, there is a very high cull rate, and small percentage of good looking hybrids, from most seed I get, so I am excited of this new variety's high percentage prospect!
I also am a freelance professional photographer, and I love to photograph ti's, and have a substantial collection of ti photos, although they are not organized and all named yet, which I am slowly working on. I have, however, contributed some ti photos to Carolyn, in Australia, who puts out the cordyline cd.

Logged Logged  
Jacob (Admin)
Mad about Cordylines...
Administrator
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female International Cordyline Society Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia Birthdate: 1976-11-19
Re:Cordyline seed... 14 Years, 6 Months ago  
Hi Don, I am so glad to make contact with you and look forward to hearing a lot more from you. Would love to see some of your photos. You sound like you have an amazing colletion of cordylines with a lot of great things to come.

Talk soon...
Kristy

Logged Logged  

Hi, I'm the editor of the Ti-Talk magazine for the International Cordyline Society. I'm married with 3 children and we all love spending time in the garden. I'm keen, eager and willing to learn and LOVE Cordylines!
Art Smith (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Cordyline seed... 14 Years ago  
Hi Don, Have just read your posting with great interest. I too, share your Ti plant (Cordyline Fruticosa) hybrid effort interest, and Ti plant photography interests. I'm located south-west of Hilo by about 10 miles on three acres. Where are you located? Have over 100 named variety of ti, several unnamed and several seedling keepers . So far, I have not done any hand pollination. Have collected and planted seeds for about four years now and have gotten a few interesting new varieties. Last year I planted seeds from a large juno leaf unnamed common variety. 95% came out with lance shaped leaves. But a remainding 24 plants came out with mostly large juno leaves. Everyone of those plants was a bit different from the next and very attractive, which I found very interesting, mostly keepers in their own rights. At what stage of growth, do you start culling out? Do narrow down to desired leaf shapes or do you wait for signs of color first? I get shy on culling out too early, but I can too easily run out of space. I finally had to just remove most of the lance shaped variety from that batch as no unusual coloration appeared.
As to the photography, I photograph all my ti plants, with a top view, side view, throat or crown base view, leaf closeup views and any other views that capture any other uniqueness about the plant, such as lighting affected color differences or leaf textures. I mount all the 4x6 photos to two per page, and on the pages I identify the plant, how acquired, how grown, date of photo, and frame number for easy future locate-ability of the digital image. Also, as time goes on, I add any observations or other facts about that plant to its pages. Currently I have three, full, two inch binders and ready to start a fourth.
Thank You, Art

Logged Logged  
Go to top

Latest News

© 2024 The International Cordyline Society (Best viewed at 1280x1024)