Photo Gallery
Whats New
Members Gardens
Publications
Membership
Events
FAQs
Links
To Register a new login account email a Username and Password to This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it  

Find us on Facebook

ICS Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login   
Cordyline Terminalis - Ti Plant (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Cordyline Terminalis - Ti Plant
Keith Hayes (Visitor)

Cordyline Terminalis - Ti Plant 14 Years, 8 Months ago  
I'm trying to find a large,full grown Cordyline Terminalis, better know as the Ti plant. I'm interested in harvesting the root to make an old Hawaiian liquor called Okolehao. I live in California and will travel to pick one up.

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Jacob (Admin)
Mad about Cordylines...
Administrator
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Female International Cordyline Society Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia Birthdate: 1976-11-19
Re:Cordyline Terminalis - Ti Plant 14 Years, 8 Months ago  
Hi there Keith,

Just to let you know the plant you are after is no longer called Cordyline terminalis. Although a lot of literature still refers to the Ti plant as Cordyline terminalis, this name is obsolete and now invalid. The correct name is Cordyline fruiticosa.

Cheers
Kristy

Logged Logged  

Hi, I'm the editor of the Ti-Talk magazine for the International Cordyline Society. I'm married with 3 children and we all love spending time in the garden. I'm keen, eager and willing to learn and LOVE Cordylines!
Jamie Clarke (Admin)
A bad day is a day full of bad...
Administrator
graphgraph
Gender: Male Sunnybank SHS Location: Brisbane Birthdate: 1974-01-23
Hi Keith

Have you checked out http://www.alohatropicals.com. I believe they are at Oceanside CA.

For our members who maybe interested in this spirit derived from the cordyline root go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okolehao for a very interesting read.

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/08/25 18:14 By jclar30.
Keith Hayes (Visitor)

Thanks for the information about the scientific name change. I can now better search for the right plant when I talk to nurserys.

I've talked to Aloha Tropicals but they sell small plants and I'd like to get a large mature one. They offered me an over potted 7' plant, but they want $250 for it!

It's easy to find Draceanas here - they sell them at department/chain stores. But Cordylines are hard to find. I don't know why.

I'm asking all my friends who have relatives in Hawaii if they can get get some plants for me. I know I can't get them thru agricultural inspection, but I would try dehydrating the root into chips and ship them thru as a snack.

Logged Logged  
Jacob (Admin)
Mad about Cordylines...
Administrator
graph
Gender: Female International Cordyline Society Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia Birthdate: 1976-11-19
No Probs Keith. $250 seems extremely steep! We have a number of members from the States... so hang in there. Have you had this drink before or are you experimenting?

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/08/26 05:12 By jacob.

Hi, I'm the editor of the Ti-Talk magazine for the International Cordyline Society. I'm married with 3 children and we all love spending time in the garden. I'm keen, eager and willing to learn and LOVE Cordylines!
Keith Hayes (Visitor)

I haven't had the real version of okolehao. There was a company that up until about 2000 was selling a whisky flavored version, but not since the '60 has any commercial version been made. Many tropical drink fans consider oko the holy grail of liquors because old recipies require it. Anyone who could get some would be very happy. It's supposed to have a very unique taste.

Logged Logged  
Go to top

Latest News

© 2024 The International Cordyline Society (Best viewed at 1280x1024)